The New Zealand in 2020 bid was started sort of accidentally. You can read about it on this page.
What's been going on since then?
- Conventions and Incentives New Zealand contacted us and offered their support. We have a letter offering logistical support, as well as actual cash to help with the bidding process. A convention of the size of a Worldcon is a significant event for New Zealand. Most people when coming to New Zealand will tend to take the opportunity to make it a holiday and spend more time than just the convention in the country. This has significant economic and social benefits.
- We have investigated a number of convention facilities, one in Wellington and two in Auckland, that are large enough to take such a convention. This is still preliminary, and accomodation options still have to be confirmed as being sufficient.
- The fan community in New Zealand is keen to see this happen, with some understandable reservations. Much the same reservations as anyone else has when approaching a project of this magnitude. But the meetings we've had have been impressive with a lot of fans showing up at 9AM on a Monday morning of a con to talk about a Worldcon in New Zealand. I think you will agree that this is shows enthusiasm.
- The fan community outside New Zealand is keen to see this happen. And there have been many offers of help. Which we will need.
What's happening in the future?
- Here in New Zealand, we will be adding elements on Worldcons to our local conventions. On a smaller scale to be sure. But this will give us some level of practise.
- Our presence at the next couple of Worldcons, Chicon 7 and LoneStarCon 3 will be limited. Possibly a table or party, but certainly badges and ribbons will be given out. The lead time is huge up to 2020, and we are very conscious of not over doing it and exhausting ourselves physically and monetarily.
- The big milestone we are aiming for is 2014. We will have made sufficient investigations into facilities and personnel by then to know if we can continue the bid. We are very conscious that we are a small country with a small fanbase so we want to make sure that we can do the job well. So 2014 is the year that we will swing into gear, or relinquish the spot. We think that 2014 is far enough out that if we have to bow out gracefully, then there's still enough time for another bid to take over without it being a problem.